"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15d

Monday, August 30, 2010

SPEAK!!!!

Garrett has been at a Forensic Camp for 3 days.  Speech and Debate.  Sounds no fun to me and not to Garrett either.

This is one of those things where your mom and dad said you had to do it.  No choices.  He was at camp from 9:00 to 6:00 everyday.  He moaned and groaned the entire week leading up to the camp.  After the first day, he was okay with it.  The last day they had to dress in shirt, tie, nice pants and shoes for the entire day. So again, all I heard Friday night was "MOM" do I have too?  It was also all day Saturday.  This didn't thrill him either.

The camp was a blast.  Parents had to be there as well so we could learn how to help the students once we do this in co-op.  Our plan is to form a team from our co-op to go and compete.  So we as moms and dads had to learn along with them so we know what to do to help prepare speeches and debates. 
He learned so much. 

When I signed him up, the lady kept saying be prepared what you are doing.  You are teaching your child to argue!!  Okay, I was ready for that.  Garrett does that anyway.  No really!  Get ready she said.  So here is our funny

Garrett comes home from camp.  He is exhausted.  He wants to play video games which are in Seth's room.  Garrett tries but Seth is saying no (not so nicely).  Garrett comes quickly to our room.  "Seth want let me play games - he pauses and stand straight and tall, puts his hands together and says - I believe I should be able to play video games because . . . he starte into his 3 points"  Jeff and I about lose it.  I did sign him up to learn how to argue. 

Garrett learned affirmative and negative.  He learned how to build a case and defend your case.  He had just finished 3 debate rounds before he came home.  So he really had to mentally of what he had learned and been doing all day for three days.    We about lost it. 

This is Garrett sitting down listening to his parner present his case.


This is what Garrett was working on - Big words - Big concepts - Big responsibility

He did great.

Just so you know,  the two young people who headed up the camp just finished a short film that they are trying to get released.  It is fantastic and amazing.  God can really work.  Young people can really accomplish great things.  The boy is 21 years old and the girl is 23 years old.  I am amazed with their maturity at such a young age.  They showed this movie at camp. 

This is only the Trailer so not the whole thing.

Jessica (the girl that made the movie) shared that is took 40,000 still pictures to make the entire movie.  She said a good day, a day, was getting 10 minutes of film. 

The camp also showed this movie.  Garrett loved it.  Ha!  Who would have thought.


I want my child to be able to carry on a conversation with adults, look people in the eye, be very confident in what he speaks, and be able to share the gospel with others.  I hope this camp was just the beginning of those things. 

No comments: