"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15d

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

Today begins the season of Lent.  We have done Lent the past couple of years and have really received some great unity as a family all focusing on something and holding each other accountable.  I look at Lent as a time to sacrifice something that makes me think of Jesus each time I "want" the something I give up for 40 days. 


                                      

This year as I was reading and studying more for the family, I ran across how Lent can also be adding a discipline.  I don't want my kids to dread Lent.  I want this to be a time to prepare our hearts for the Easter season. 
                                                   



Lent should prepare our hearts for Easter.  Jesus went into the wilderness for 40 days.  He came face to face with His biggest enemy.  I hope over the next 40 days we as a family can come face to face with our enemies.  Our focus for the next 40 days should lead us to be more like Christ in His sacrifice for us. 

                                          

I want Him to form me into a new being.  I want to continue to work out my salvation and draw closer to Him.  I want Easter to move from bunnies, candy and eggs to the image below for me.

                                           
This is a BIG DEAL.  I let the days worries bring me down when I need to be rejoicing in all that I have.  Jesus has bridged that gap for me to be in unity with God.  I am so thankful for that.  So over the next 40 days, we have decided to make a shift.  Instead of a sacrifice or giving up something, we are going to be looking for things that show us His love.  We are adding a new discipline to our thinking.  Where is God meeting me each day?  What is showing me each day?  Does he give me a small glimpse into how big He really is?  We are ready for God to show off to us each day as we intentionally spend quiet time with him.  In doing so, we will find JOY each day.  I want my JOY to spill out of me. 


PS  Have you ever thought about Lent?  Do you have questions about what this is or looks like?  Join us this year?  40 days " Trail to the Cross" 

I will be posting each day as we begin this journey to Easter.  May your hearts be renewed, rejoiced and be made well. 

No comments: