"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15d

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Setting a goal




At the beginning of this year, I set a goal of a 5K.  I did it on July 31st.  It was from the Appalachian Alumni Association.  I was sooooooo nervous.

Before the race.  I was really trying to be brave but everyone around me was very intimidating.  I am so glad I had Jeff with me.  He reassured me that I would be fine.  I had such confidence in him to get me through this 3.1 miles.  The night before I drove the car in the neighborhood and realized that I was no where near training for 3.1 miles.  I had taken 1 1/2 months off - I ran Monday, Wednesday and Friday the week before the race.

As we were lining up for the horn to blow, I thought I was going to throw up or pass out.  Nervous.  I haven't put myself out there to be nervous in a long time.  (kinda something God was telling me - I do this to my kids all the time -now why can't I do this more often - pulling them out of their comfort zone or challenging them to read more, memorize more, get up in front of a crowd, sing, recite, etc) 

The race started and everyone took off running except Jeff and I.  Well it felt that way.  I always walk first to warm up.

I did it.  I was so much fun to run with Jeff and do something together.  He made the time pass by quickly.  He encouraged me along the way.  He spoke to every policeman that we passed blocking traffic for us.  He went at my pace - walk or run.  He crossed the finish line one step ahead of me.  Ahhhhh!!!!
  He was my inspiration to do this

After the race - time 37.48
Jeff 119 out of 168
Amy 120 out of 168

Jeff would have finished much faster but he stayed with me
Now looking to do a second one Aug. 21st and beat my time. 

Let's see - a new passion - eating healthy and exercise

Showing my children life lessons
I love you Jeff
Thanks for staying right with me

No comments: